Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Romance

I plan to start with a list of things that I think are romantic. I don't mean the romance like that involved when a husband gives his wife a gift or even makes sure that she never has to visit the gas station or park her car in the driveway in front of a garage full of shop tools. What I mean is the romance defined as
A mysterious or fascinating quality or appeal, as of something adventurous, heroic, or strangely beautiful--dictionary.com
1. Static on analogue radio or television, expecially on the AM commercial or amateur band on the signal of a DX station (I probably picked this up from my amateur radio experiences)
2. Walking along the shoulder of a highway
3. Wrecking a car and walking away knowing that I did all the right things to avoid the wreck (this probably comes from Star Trek III)
4. Broadswords (I think that the reason that swords seem so romantic may be that God invented them. Genesis 3:24)
5. Driving at night because it kind of emphasizes the difference between walking and driving.

I guess I'll camp on this one because I can't seem to think of very many more. When a person walks from point A to point B, he sees just about everything between those two points. When a person drives between the same two points, she never has to think about most of the things between them; it is like she has jumped into hyperspace or has climbed into a discontinuity machine and doesn't really know what happened. Sometimes a person will ask me how I got from one place to another and when I tell them, "I walked" or, "I ran," that person will look at me as though the origin and destination were light years apart. A person driving at night sees even less than a person driving during the day, perhaps as little as white dots in pairs, white lines, and yellow lines.

1 comment:

omochan said...

Hey There. I got your message on my blog. You seem like a good person to get to know. There are a myriad of ways to get at me. Instant Messengers, emails, this blog. Feel free to use them all. I'm online a lot, anyways. Talk to you later.