Sunday, September 09, 2007

My Weird Church

This morning I decided to act in accordance with my better judgment and submit to the wishes expressed in the comments of the official elder and the unofficial elder both of whom dared to tell me what I should write. I used to think that I was slow to anger. I used to think that I could live with authority. That was before I met people who actually use authority.

So, let it be known that it is the expressed desire of the Seaside Church leadership that all of you who read this blog post know that none of the bottles pictured herein did contain alcohol at the time during which these pictures were taken.

Now, if I could just find some way to get around those biblical commands to be subject to spiritual authority so that I can do whatever the hell I want.

Today there was a baptism at which three people became baptized. Lots of us decided to travel to Tom Engstrom's house (pictured below). That person doing the cooking in that picture up there told me yesterday that by watching a movie called The Blues Brothers I could learn what would be required to build a culturally relevant church for black men (and their families).

Tom Engstrom had some very uncomfortable surgery performed upon his body last week. For some reason, he decided to be hospitable anyway. Please note the beer bottle in Mr. Tom Engstrom's hand. This beer bottle is kind of like the beer bottle which is pictured in the picture above it.

This is a picture of Tom Engstrom's backyard.

Here is an image of some kid with another beer bottle.

I figure that as long as I am making people happy, I had can make Crystal happy by removing this picture also.

Here is a picture of two of the people who were about to be baptized who were also having their picture taken while holding beer bottles.

Here is a picture of the person who was baptized first. Inconveniently, I don't seem to have an image of this person holding a beer bottle. Conveniently, there seemed to be a number of beer bottles such that each person present seemed to be able to empty one all by himself or herself. I didn't even hear any mothers saying, No Billy, you only get ONE!

This is an image of the person who was baptized second. It is also an image of the newly installed elder whose name is Eric Schuette and who is also my community group leader. I think that he is the only elder of Seaside Church who plans on attending any one community group consistently.

This is an image of the person who was baptized third.

Here are some other pictures that seem to have come out well:

8 comments:

Patso8 said...

You should explain the type of beer contained in the bottles.

Joshua said...

But the blog is so much fun right now because some of my readers are ignorant of the fact that all of the beer bottles had been rigged with root beer ahead of time.

Your stereotype shirt should explain that it is not actually worn by a person who thinks that stereotypes are good things to use all of the time.

Crystal said...

I am in agreance with Pat... small children... beer... seaside church..public blog...not a good thing.

2 more things...can you send me some pictures you took of the baptism... and B.... that picture of Michelle and I with the beer bottles... not so good.

Abby said...

I guess Pat beat me to my comment. Although I love the picture of Jeven who seems to be enjoying his beer even if it is the root kind. Nice pics Joshua.

Eric

Patso8 said...

I don't know about the red text...seems a bit over the top...and not in a good arm-wrestling truck driver way either.

Joshua said...

I am not familiar with the "good arm-wrestling truck driver" way of over-the-topness. But if the text of my blog is over the top, then I am over the top also. This is MY blog.

Looking inside of myself, I can see that I seem to prefer acting independently to utilizing the freedom that Christ gives (on-demand even). I don't see this authority problem of mine going away all by itself, but sometimes God is nice to people and gives wisdom to them. Humility follows wisdom according to James 3:13. Perhaps I should meditate on that whole passage there. I might get somewhere.

Abby said...

Hello, it was a joke. Write what you want. Eric

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.