Saturday, April 28, 2007

Impending Blessings or Impending Judgement

After I sat through the eight-hour Fundamentals of Engineering exam on Saturday, I found that I was nearer to Monroe where I used to live than usual, so I decided to travel there and attend the QuinceaƱera of the adopted daughter of the pastor of the church in Monroe that I attended when I lived in Monroe. It was the second birthday party of a teenage woman that I can remember ever attending.

As everyone else (or seemingly so) was busy dancing, I was standing and sipping my punch and talking to the father of a high schooler about the advantages of comedy colleges for science majors. My friend of a number of years entered and I congratulated her because of her recent marriage engagement:

Me: lady'sname! Congratulations upon your impending marriage!

Lady: Thank you Joshua! But you make it sound like such a bad thing. I think that you have just associated my upcoming wedding with doom, gloom, and destruction.

Me: I did wonder if that use of 'impending' was appropriate--

Lady: No, I don't think that it is.

Me: --So I looked it up in an on-line dictionary to find out and the only example in the first definition was 'impending marriage!'

Another source in the on-line dictionary indicates that impending is a good word to use for describing the day of God's judgment because it is impending just like 2 Peter 3 says. The sweet thing about the impending day of the judgment of God is that many people have actually had the judgment that was to be applied to them diverted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dude, interesting word choice considering all the things we have talked about recently, hehe.
keep posting
-Josh Peyton